One way to do so is by altering your diet, exercise,
One way to do so is by altering your diet, exercise, and sleep habits, suggets Scott Isaacs, M.D., an endocrinologist in Atlanta and author of Hormonal Balance: How to Lose Weight By Understanding Your Hormones and Metabolism.
"Think of your body as an engine - your metabolism is the rate at which your engine runs," he explained to Health magazine. "By making adjustments to these three elements, you can actually make your engine rev higher."
On September 4, fitness blog FitSugar and Health magazine offer a few expert tips to get your metabolic engine burning -- at any age. The promise? You can drop ten pounds, or 4.5 kilos, in 21 days.
1. Eat early - "Breakfast triggers a process called thermogenesis, where the body signals the brain to activate the metabolic process of turning food into energy," Mark Hyman, M.D., author of The Blood Sugar Solution, told Health magazine.
2. Watch your sugar - "As we get older, it's crucial to pay attention to how much sugar we're consuming," stated Diane Kress, R.D., author of The Metabolism Miracle. "Too much messes with your metabolism by causing your body to store extra calories as fat."
3. Eat often - To optimize your metabolic burn, Hyman recommends eating small meals every three or four hours.
4. Work out, with intensity - "Not only does it affect your metabolism while you're doing it, but research shows you can keep burning calories up to 24 hours after you finish because your metabolism stays elevated," Isaacs stated.
5. Sleep well - Research suggests that people who sleep two-thirds of their usual amount (such as five hours instead of eight) eat an average of 549 extra calories the following day without even noticing. Doing this regularly means a lot of extra weight.
Source : Ny Daily News